Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Plymouth Part 1

My husband Andrew and I were getting to the point where I was feeling like "I think my husband still lives in my house with me," so I booked a much needed weekend getaway for us. I wanted something close, but not Newport because we always go to Newport. So I randomly chose Plymouth, MA and looked up places to stay. I found a bed and breakfast online and so I called, booked it and we were set.

The pace we stayed at was right in Plymouth and it was a lovely little bed and breakfast called The Whitfield House. It is owned by Bryan Whitfield and operated by his sister Barbara. The house is one of the oldest, I believe, in the country. It was the oldest on the street, one of the only originals left. When Bryan bought the home he went through an extensive process of renovation and restoration to get the home to look like a house would have in the 1700's. It has a cobble stone drive and carriage doors, which were added by Bryan and were not originally part of the house. He did a great job, the carriage house looks like it was part of the original home. Here are some outside and inside photos:

This is the view of the front and what you see as you pull up. It looks like a modest home.


Then you pull in to the cobble stone drive and you see this view. It makes the house look much bigger. In actuality, it's a garage with a music room above it. Bryan plays piano and viola. I would have loved to see that room!

And the plaque that tells a little more about the house's history.

This was our room, the Blue Room. 
Andrew's shirt just happened to match the decor.


And another shot of our room.

 It was a beautiful place. I wish I had thought to take pictures of the rest of the house. But you can see it online.

Andrew and I have a dairy allergy and that can be tricky, especially for breakfast. Barbara was happy to accommodate us. We brought some rice milk and she cooked for us. Saturday morning we had pancakes loaded with fresh strawberries and blueberries. They were amazing. And Sunday we had homemade coffee cake and fresh fruit and date salad.

We would go back here just to visit with Bryan and Barbara again. In fact, Saturday morning breakfast was at 8:00 but we didn't leave the table until 12:00, we were so busy talking to them. It was nice for us to have that time to spend, but I felt badly keeping them because they weren't on vacation! They never made us feel like we were a bother though. We had great food and great conversation.



No comments:

Post a Comment