Sunday, December 11, 2011

Return Missionary Survival Kit

OK, so I can't take credit for this idea. One transfer on my mission both of our Zone Leaders were going home so a few sisters made them survival kits. I don't remember what was in them though, so for this kit I came up with my own ideas. This kit was also for and Elder as opposed to a Sister so it would be slightly different anyhow.


First I included a small teddy bear, and I labeled it "For when you miss your companion". This one was my husband's idea.




Then I included a "Nerf" type gun labeled "For the girls you don't like".
Now the next piece was chap stick, on the go floss, and breath mints. Each had a label so I put an elastic around them to hold them together. When they were side by side they read "For the . . . girls you . . . DO like!" but I didn't know at the time he has a girlfriend. Otherwise it would have said "girl" not "girls".

Of course since I thought he was single I added the little black "area book".



 Then I went online a found some lists of pick-up lines. I was careful to select silly yet appropriate ones. There are some that are just not OK. 


Next I found some information on what not to say on a first date, which again I edited so it would be appropriate. And then I found 50 marriage proposal ideas. He thought these were all pretty funny.

Then some serious stuff, I put in a New England Patriots tie since he's a football player and he served his mission here in the Boston mission. AND he just so happens to be a patriots fan which is good.

Then I put in a few serious articles for him to read on his journey home. Here are the links for those:
Church News: Transferred Home
Elder Perry: The Returned Missionary
Deseret News: Don't Return From Your Mission
The Room

Lastly I had to come up with a catchy slogan for the outside of the box. Since he's a football player I wanted to relate it to that. The other Elders came up with a great one:




Here is a shot of the district. We have some great Elders.



And here's Elder D saying "Yesssssss!!!" because he just got the coolest gift ever!



Now, as I said I can't take full credit for the idea. Feel free to use any of this and tweak as necessary!

2 comments:

  1. This is the cutest idea ever! I wish I knew this for all of my RM friends who returned over the summer. I would have gotten into doing this with Andrea and Cristina. We were avid missionary writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do this for my daughter without the black book and pick up lines I think. I will probably add some gift cards for some clothing stores since she is going to need jeans and t-shirts for "civilian" life. Ha Ha! Great idea, thanks.

    ReplyDelete